Conservation

clouds
  • The True Value of Solar

    There’s broad desire to increase solar on the electric grid. What if we step back and tried to answer the question: What are the costs and benefits of solar? The end result would be a thoroughly developed net “Value of Solar” that works with utility business models and compensates customers fairly for helping add solar to grid.

    Read more

  • “Green” yards can take on a whole new meaning

    The “National Rivers and Streams Assessment” found that 55 percent of our nation’s river and stream miles do not support healthy populations of aquatic life, with phosphorus and nitrogen pollution and poor habitat the most widespread problems. Now the good news: We can take simple steps at home, at League chapters, and in our communities to tackle water and air pollution.

    Read more

deers
  • Haven’t Been Following Agricultural Appropriations? Here’s Why You Should.

    Agriculture conservation programs are not getting the love (and financing) they deserve – at least, not from Washington. The appropriations process is complicated and confusing, but that doesn’t mean we can sit back and relax when programs protecting the resources we care about are on the chopping block.

    Read more

  • Ag Updates: No Rest When It Comes to Conservation Compliance

    When you think about the Farm Bill, you may think crop payments or disaster insurance. But conservation? Well, yes. Conservation is a key part of Farm Bill and the reason the Izaak Walton League is so involved in Farm Bill negotiations – even 18 months after the Agricultural Act of 2014 was signed into law last February.

    Read more

pier on the lake
  • Clean Water

    Clean water is essential to life, yet 40 percent of the nation’s assessed waters are not clean enough to support fishing and swimming. And those numbers reflect less than 20 percent of America’s waterways – the other 80 percent are not even monitored! The Izaak Walton League is committed to improving the health of America’s waterways through local action and national advocacy.

    Read more

  • How To Stop Aquatic Hitchhikers

    Thoroughly cleaning boats and equipment after a day on the water will prevent aquatic invaders from hitching a ride with you to a new waterway. It’s one of the most important things you can do to protect America’s wildlife and great outdoor recreation.

    Read more

  • Missouri River Recovery Program

    The Izaak Walton League is working with stakeholders at the local, state, and national levels to restore some of the Missouri River’s natural functions to benefit fish and wildlife. Fortunately, what’s good for the recovery of the river is also good for water quality, wetland functions, flood protection, outdoor recreation, and local economies.

    Read more

4 people hiking in woods
  • An American Invention

    The national park system is more than America’s best idea – it’s the Declaration of Independence applied to our national landscape.

    Read more

  • Celebrating the Centennial of our National Park Service

    Our national park system is much more than a pretty face. From national monuments and urban getaways to the places where America was born, national parks protect our past and provide the historical context to help us find our best future. The National Park Service is entrusted with preserving these special places for the enjoyment, education, and inspiration of all Americans.

    Read more

  • Land and Water Conservation Fund: Can it Endure into the 21st Century?

    The Land and Water Conservation Fund has helped conserve 3 million acres of land and water at the state level and more than 29,000 outdoor recreation projects. Will the Fund be available to support outdoor recreation opportunities in the future?

    Read more