The following documents are in Adobe PDF format. To get Adobe Acrobat Reader, click here.
Exploring Links Between Population and the Environment
- Human Population Growth and Greenhouse Gas Emissions - A fact sheet that discusses how climate change and human population growth are related.
- Balancing Act: Population, Consumption and the Global Environment - A booklet that discusses the League's policy on population and the environment, including information from experts on those relationships.
- Our Planet, Ourselves: Balancing World Population for a Sustainable Future - An action guide designed to raise awareness of population and consumption issues and to suggest what individuals can do to address them.
- Islands of Hope (Philippines Study Tour II) - A photo essay of a March 2008 study tour undertaken by 3 volunteers and a staff member of the League, along with volunteers and staff of the National Audubon Society and Sierra Club, to explore innovative programs working to balance population growth, development and resource conservation.
- Philippines Study Tour - A report of a Spring 2006 study tour undertaken by 12 staff members and volunteer activists from U.S. conservation organizations who traveled to Southeast Asia to observe how communities are addressing their needs for healthy natural resources, sustainable livelihoods, education, health care, and family planning through innovative integrated programs.
- Chicago Study Tour Report - A report of a June 2003 study tour undertaken by 12 Izaak Walton League members and two staff members from the League's Sustainability Education Program who visited the Chicago, Illinois, and Northwest Indiana metropolitan region. The group spent a week examining issues around sustainability.
- Guatemala Study Tour Summary - A summary of a February 2002 study tour undertaken by 10 members of the Izaak Walton League of America and two staff members from the IWLA Sustainability Education Program who visited Guatemala for a week. During the visit, the group examined firsthand the issues of population and resource conservation in a developing country context.
Resources for Journalists
- An Outdoor Journalist's Guide to Population Issues - A booklet that outlines how you, as an outdoor journalist, can make linkages between population growth and outdoor issues such as pollution, habitat loss, and wildlife management.
- Population Growth and Outdoor America - A booklet showing how five outdoor journalists - Scout Stouder, Shawn Perich, Joel Vance, Phil Shook, and Holly Endersby - tackle the issue of population and the outdoors.
League Sustainability Newsletter
- Sustainability Communicator - A newsletter published through 2007 that focused on sustainability issues.
Turning Up the Water Pressure from Outdoor America
Steps big and small need to be taken to better conserve and more equitably divide the world’s water.
Sign up for League NewsSign up today to receive the League's monthly electronic newsletter and Action Alerts on issues that matter to you.