Have you always wanted to start an outdoor education program but don’t know where to start? Are you looking for exciting hands-on activities for your classroom or an existing youth program? Have you been looking for a way to share your love of the outdoors with kids in your community? We have the answer – Creek Freaks!
Creek Freaks are middle school students making a splash to help the environment. Each session takes students outside to explore local streams and learn how healthy trees, shrubs, and grasses protect clean water and wildlife. Students are then empowered as local stream experts and are encouraged to continue advocating for and working to improve water quality.
The Izaak Walton League can offer you several ways to get started:
- Materials. Visit http://www.creekfreaks.net/ to download the curriculum and extension activities. The Web site also is a place where you and your students can post data, videos, photos and stories about streams and learn about other streams in your community.
- Attend a training. The Izaak Walton League runs two-day comprehensive training on all of the hands-on indoor and stream monitoring activities for the Creek Freaks program. The training will include a basic overview of stream ecology, guidance on how to manage the logistics of conducting on-going youth programs, and hands-on training in conducting activities from the Creek Freaks curriculum. Contact email@example.com to make sure you are notified of the next training.
- Equipment loan. The Izaak Walton League national office in Gaithersburg, Maryland, has a full set of monitoring equipment, hands-on activity materials, and boots for stream monitoring. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
This program is a partnership of the Izaak Walton League of America, U.S. Bureau of Land Management, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Partners for Fish and Wildlife Program, and U.S. Forest Service.
Clean Water Resources
- Stream and Wetland Publications
- Stream Monitoring and Restoration
- SOS Monitoring Equipment
- Webcasts and Workshops
- Other Resources
Everything you need to start a wetland conservation project.