Conservation (con-ser-va-tion): The protection, preservation, management, or restoration of natural environments and the ecological communities that inhabit them.
One hundred years ago, the word “conservation” was not yet part of our nation’s collective vocabulary. The industrial age had brought with it an abundance environmental damage: Rivers running thick with industrial waste. Forests and wildlife disappearing. Smoke billowing into the air above our cities and countryside. Many people witnessed these assaults on the natural world, but the founders of the Izaak Walton League were among the few who took action to defend America’s wild places – and succeeded.
Since our founding in 1922, the League has secured new wildlife refuges, saved forests from excessive clear-cutting, cleaned up the nation’s air and water, and improved farmland management to conserve soil and water resources. However, as we’ve made progress to protect outdoor America, technologies have advanced, urban populations have grown, and whole new industries have sprung up to promote and fulfill increased consumer demand and consumption. This growth presents new challenges and threats to our natural world – a world that is increasingly far removed from many Americans’ lives.
As described more fully in this report, the Izaak Walton League has responded to these challenges by
- Using streams as living classrooms to educate children about water quality and the roles they can play in protecting our water resources
- Focusing national press attention and League advocacy efforts on restoring Clean Water Act protections to streams and wetlands that are important to our nation’s drinking water supplies and fish and wildlife populations
- Advancing clean energy by demonstrating the human health and financial costs of old coal-fired power plants
- Developing innovative partnerships to make energy conservation as environmentally and economically beneficial for power companies as it is for consumers
- Workign to strengthen and implement the Farm Bill to better meet our nation’s agricultural and conservation needs
- Revitalizing important ecosystems around the country through grassroots advocacy and on-the-ground conservation work
- And much more….
2010 Izaak Walton League Annual Report (3 MG PDF)