The mission of the Izaak Walton League of America (the League), founded in 1922, is to conserve, restore and promote the sustainable use and enjoyment of our natural resources, including soil, air, woods, waters and wildlife. Our members and staff combine hands-on conservation action, policy work with legislatures and resource agencies, and public education to pursue our conservation goals at the local, state and national levels. As a strong responsible voice representing outdoor recreationists, we occupy a special niche in the conservation community.
SUMMARY OF POSITION
If you are a talented organizer who loves the outdoors and wants to make a difference for streams and wetlands in Iowa and Illinois, this could be the job for you! The Agriculture Outreach Coordinator will be the League’s organizer in Illinois and Iowa with diverse grassroots, policy, and communications responsibilities. The Agriculture Outreach Coordinator will develop and implement a comprehensive plan to organize and engage existing and new grassroots constituencies to actively advocate for federal and state policies related to clean water, sustainable agriculture, and wetland conservation. As a member of the League’s conservation team, the Agriculture Outreach Coordinator will assist in the overall implementation of the League’s policy agenda, working in conjunction with communications, development, and chapter and member relations staff. This position will be based in Iowa or Illinois.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Under supervision of the Agriculture Program Director, develop and implement a comprehensive grassroots education, outreach and engagement plan to broaden and diversify the constituencies in Iowa and Illinois advocating for the economic and environmental importance of clean water and healthy wetlands.
- Conduct outreach to a diverse array of constituencies, including League members, hunters and anglers, and small business owners, to achieve the goals of the grassroots engagement plan.
- Facilitate engagement of constituencies with local, state, and national policymakers, media, and partners.
- Develop written materials and other content to educate constituencies about the League’s priority agriculture conservation issues and policies.
- In conjunction with IWLA Agriculture Program staff and partners, directly engage and support the engagement of key constituencies on state policies that affect agriculture conservation, water quality, wetlands, and soil health in Illinois and Iowa.
- Develop a list of key influencers in Iowa and Illinois including state agencies, state legislators, and other prominent individuals related to Farm Bill conservation and clean water.
- Actively contribute to the League's internal and external communications efforts, including developing content for written publications and the League’s website, social media, and other electronic communications.
- Make regular visits to the League's state divisions and chapters in Iowa, Illinois, and other states.
- Bachelor's degree in environmental studies, political science, or closely related field.
- Three to five years of experience in grassroots organizing, coalition-building, and advocacy.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the public policy process at the state and federal levels.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to communicate about complex issues in language that is understandable to and compelling for a general audience.
- Experience engaging and working with small business owners, especially in the outdoor recreation sector, is highly beneficial.
- Knowledge of agriculture conservation issues and public policies, including concerning water quality, wetlands, and soil health, is highly beneficial.
- Demonstrated ability working with the media.
- Ability to establish priorities, think strategically, and independently manage multiple tasks in a high work load environment.
- Ability to work as a team player with a diverse array of colleagues, partners, and League staff, volunteer leaders, and members.
- Willingness and ability to travel, including for multiple days and overnight.
- Strong personal commitment to advancing the cause of conservation and natural resource stewardship.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Compensation for the Agriculture Outreach Coordinator is on a competitive non-profit scale and will be commensurate with experience and qualifications. The position also includes a package of employee and health benefits.
HOW TO APPLY
Email cover letter, resume, salary history, and writing sample (an example of an organizing or outreach plan is preferred), to the attention of the Agriculture Program Director: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please submit all materials no later than May 26, 2017. No phone calls please.
The Izaak Walton League of America is an Equal Opportunity Employer